(1) If a certifier receives a notice under section 43 (3) (a) for building work, the certifier must inspect the building work as soon as practicable.
(2) On, or as soon as practicable (but in any case within 2 business days), after inspection, the certifier must—
(a) if satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building work does not comply with section 42 (Requirements for carrying out building work)—give the building licensee in charge of the building work written directions that are reasonable and appropriate for achieving compliance; or
(b) if satisfied on reasonable grounds that building work complies with section 42—certify that the work complies and give the certificate to the building licensee in charge of the building work.
(3) A certifier commits an offence if the certifier contravenes subsection (1) or (2).
Maximum penalty: 10 penalty units.
(4) An offence against subsection (3) is a strict liability offence.
(5) A certifier may, by written notice, require the building licensee in charge of the building work to conduct, on the materials used or to be used in the work, on the structure of the building, or in relation to anything else connected with the work, the tests stated in the notice.