(1) A witness in a proceeding must take an oath or make an affirmation before giving evidence.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person who gives unsworn evidence under section 13 (Competence—lack of capacity).
(3) A person who is called only to produce a document or thing to the court need not take an oath or make an affirmation before doing so.
(4) The witness must take the oath, or make the affirmation, in accordance with the appropriate form in schedule 1 or in a similar form.
(5) An affirmation has the same effect for all purposes as an oath.