(1) At a general meeting, a vote on a proposed resolution under this Division must not be cast (in any capacity) by or on behalf of:
(a) a related party of the corporation to whom the resolution would permit a financial benefit to be given; or
(b) an associate of such a related party.
(2) Subsection (1) does not prevent the casting of a vote if:
(a) it is cast by a person as a proxy appointed by writing that specifies how the proxy is to vote on the proposed resolution; and
(b) it is not cast on behalf of a related party or associate of a kind referred to in subsection (1).
(3) The regulations may prescribe cases where subsection (1) does not apply.
(4) The Registrar may by writing declare that:
(a) subsection (1) does not apply to a specified proposed resolution; or
(b) subsection (1) does not prevent the casting of a vote, on a specified proposed resolution, by a specified entity, or on behalf of a specified entity;
but may only do so if satisfied that the declaration will not cause unfair prejudice to the interests of any member of the corporation.
(5) A declaration in force under subsection (4) has effect accordingly.
(6) A declaration under subsection (4) is not a legislative instrument.
(7) If a vote is cast in contravention of subsection (1), the related party or associate, as the case may be, contravenes this subsection, whether or not the proposed resolution is passed.
Penalty: 200 penalty units or imprisonment for 5 years, or both.
(8) For the purposes of this section, a vote is cast on behalf of an entity if, and only if, it is cast:
(a) as proxy for the entity; or
(b) otherwise on behalf of the entity; or
(c) in respect of a share in respect of which the entity has:
(i) power to vote; or
(ii) power to exercise, or control the exercise of, a right to vote.
(9) Subject to subsection 290-40(1), a contravention of this section does not affect the validity of a resolution.
(10) This section has effect despite:
(a) anything else in:
(i) this Act; or
(ii) any other law (including the general law) of a State or Territory; or
(b) anything in a body corporate's constitution.