(1) A person (the first person ) contravenes this subsection if:
(a) the first person operates a service, whether for reward or otherwise, referring other persons to third persons for work; and
(b) the first person refers another person (the prospective worker ) to a third person for work; and
(c) at the time of the referral, the prospective worker is an unlawful non-citizen.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the first person takes reasonable steps at reasonable times before the referral to verify that the prospective worker is not an unlawful non-citizen, including (but not limited to) either of the following steps:
(a) using a computer system prescribed by the regulations to verify that matter;
(b) doing any one or more things prescribed by the regulations.
(3) A person commits an offence if the person contravenes subsection (1). The physical elements of the offence are set out in that subsection.
Penalty: 2 years imprisonment.
Note: A defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in subsection (2) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code ).
(4) For the purposes of subsection (3), the fault element for paragraph (1)(c) is knowledge or recklessness by the first person.
Civil penalty provision
(5) A person is liable to a civil penalty if the person contravenes subsection (1).
Civil penalty: 90 penalty units.
Note: It is not necessary to prove a person's state of mind in proceedings for a civil penalty order (see section 486ZF).
(6) A person who wishes to rely on subsection (2) in proceedings for a civil penalty order bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in that subsection.