(1) When the Minister grants or refuses to grant a visa, he or she is to notify the applicant of the decision in the prescribed way.
(2) Notification of a decision to refuse an application for a visa must:
(a) if the grant of the visa was refused because the applicant did not satisfy a criterion for the visa--specify that criterion; and
(b) if the grant of the visa was refused because a provision of this Act or the regulations prevented the grant of the visa--specify that provision; and
(c) unless subsection (3) applies to the application--give written reasons (other than non-disclosable information) why the criterion was not satisfied or the provision prevented the grant of the visa; and
(d) if the applicant has a right to have the decision reviewed under Part 5 or 7 or section 500--state:
(i) that the decision can be reviewed; and
(ii) the time in which the application for review may be made; and
(iii) who can apply for the review; and
(iv) where the application for review can be made; and
(e) in the case of a fast track reviewable decision--state that the decision has been referred for review under Part 7AA and that it is not subject to review under Part 5 or Part 7; and
(f) in the case of a fast track decision that is not a fast track reviewable decision--state that the decision is not subject to review under Part 5, 7 or 7AA.
(3) This subsection applies to an application for a visa if:
(a) the visa is a visa that cannot be granted while the applicant is in the migration zone; and
(b) this Act does not provide, under Part 5 or 7, for an application for review of a decision to refuse to grant the visa.
(4) Failure to give notification of a decision does not affect the validity of the decision.
(5) This section does not apply to a decision under section 501, 501A, 501B or 501F to refuse to grant a visa to a person.
Note: Sections 501C and 501G provide for notification of a decision under section 501, 501A, 501B or 501F to refuse to grant a visa to a person.