Commonwealth Numbered Regulations
[Search this Regulation]
1983 No. 262 GREAT BARRIER REEF MARINE PARK REGULATIONS - REG 15
Offence relating to the discharge or deposit of waste
15. (1) A person shall not, otherwise than in accordance with the permission
in writing of the Authority given for the purposes of this regulation,
discharge or deposit household, industrial or commercial waste in the Marine
(2) Sub-regulation (1) does not apply to the discharging or depositing of
waste in a zone where the relevant zoning plan makes provision for the zone to
be used or entered for that purpose.
(3) Sub-regulation (1) does not apply to the discharge from a vessel or an
(a) human waste where the vessel or aircraft, as the case may be, does not
contain a storage tank of a kind designed for the storage of human
(b) offal from a fish caught within the Marine Park; or
(c) biodegradable waste, other than waste to which paragraph (a) or (b)
applies, where the aircraft or vessel, as the case may be, is more
than 500 metres seawards from the seaward edge of a reef.
(4) A permission given by the Authority for the purposes of this regulation
shall be subject to such conditions (if any) as are specified in the
permission, being conditions necessary for the attainment of the object of the
(5) In this regulation, "reef" includes bommie fields, sandy flats, reef
slopes, moats and ramparts.
AustLII: Copyright Policy