(1) The Commissioner may, by order in writing, remove a police officer from the NSW Police Force if the Commissioner does not have confidence in the police officer's suitability to continue as a police officer, having regard to the police officer's competence, integrity, performance or conduct.
(2) Action may not be taken under subsection (1) in relation to a Deputy Commissioner or Assistant Commissioner except with the approval of the Minister.
(3) Before making an order under this section, the Commissioner--(a) must give the police officer a notice setting out the grounds on which the Commissioner does not have confidence in the officer's suitability to continue as a police officer, and(b) must give the police officer at least 21 days within which to make written submissions to the Commissioner in relation to the proposed action, and(c) must take into consideration any written submissions received from the police officer during that period.
(4) The order must set out the reasons for which the Commissioner has decided to remove the police officer from the NSW Police Force.
(5) The removal takes effect when the order is made.
(7) Except as provided by Division 1C--(a) no tribunal has jurisdiction or power to review or consider any decision or order of the Commissioner under this section, and(b) no appeal lies to any tribunal in connection with any decision or order of the Commissioner under this section.In this subsection,
"tribunal" means a court, tribunal or administrative review body, and (without limitation) includes the Industrial Relations Commission.
(7A) Nothing in this section limits or otherwise affects the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court to review administrative action.
(7B) Nothing in Division 1C limits or otherwise affects the Commissioner's power to vary or revoke an order in force under this section.
(8) For the purposes of this Act, removal of a police officer from the NSW Police Force under this section has the same effect as if the police officer had resigned (or, in the case of a police officer who is of or above the age of 55 years, had retired) from the NSW Police Force.
(9) The Commissioner may take action under this section despite any action with respect to the removal or dismissal of the police officer that is in progress under some other provision of this Act and despite the decision of any court with respect to any such action.