(1) TAB or a wholly owned subsidiary of TAB is entitled to be granted a licence (the
"TAB on-course licence" ) to conduct an on-course totalizator during the exclusivity period in respect of betting on the following events and contingencies--(a) events and contingencies scheduled to be held at a race meeting on any racecourse within or outside Australia (being horse racing, harness racing or greyhound racing events or contingencies),(b) any declared betting event (within the meaning of the Betting and Racing Act 1998 ).
(2) Each racing club (whether or not in existence on the commencement of this section) is also entitled to a licence (a
"club on-course licence" ) to conduct an on-course totalizator during the exclusivity period in respect of betting on any event or contingency scheduled to be held at a race meeting on any racecourse within or outside Australia.
(3) No other person or body may be granted a licence for the conduct, during the exclusivity period, of an on-course totalizator in respect of an event or contingency to which an entitlement under subsection (1) or (2) applies.
(4) The Minister may, in the Minister's absolute discretion, grant any of the licences to which this section applies for a term that is longer than the exclusivity period.Note : A licence is only "exclusive" for the exclusivity period, even if it is granted for a longer period.
(5) Subsection (1) ceases to apply if the TAB on-course licence is cancelled or otherwise ceases to have effect under this Act. Subsection (2) ceases to apply to a racing club if its club on-course licence is cancelled or otherwise ceases to have effect under this Act.
(6) The Minister can cancel the TAB on-course licence if the TAB off-course licence under section 14 is cancelled or otherwise ceases to have effect. Such a cancellation can be effected by notice in writing to the licensee under the TAB on-course licence and is not subject to the other requirements of this Act regarding cancellation of a licence.
(7) No application under this Act is required for the purposes of the grant pursuant to this section of the TAB on-course licence or a club on-course licence, whether it is granted for the exclusivity period or for a longer period.