(1) A driver must comply with this rule if:(a) the driver is driving behind the rear of a tram travelling in the same direction as the driver, and(b) the tram stops at a tram stop, except at the far left side of the road, and(c) there is no safety zone, dividing strip or traffic island between the tram and the part of the road where the driver is driving, and(d) there is no other law of this jurisdiction (other than subrule (5)) that permits the driver to pass the tram without stopping.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.Note :
"Dividing strip" ,
"traffic island" and
"tram stop" are defined in the Dictionary, and
"safety zone" is defined in rule 162.
(2) The driver must stop before passing the rear of the tram.
(3) After stopping in accordance with subrule (2), the driver must not proceed if:(a) one or more of the doors on the side of the tram closest to the driver are open or opening, or(b) a pedestrian is entering or crossing the road between the tram tracks and the far left side of the road.
(4) After stopping in accordance with subrule (2), if the tram remains at the tram stop and subrule (3) (a) and (b) do not apply, the driver must not proceed past the tram at a speed greater than 10 kilometres per hour.
(5) However, subrules (2), (3) and (4) do not apply if the driver is directed to drive past the tram by an authorised person.
(6) In this rule:
"tram" includes a bus travelling along tram tracks.