(1) A driver must not drive a bus for school purposes unless a warning system is attached to the bus.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(2) The driver of a bus being used for school purposes must activate the flashing lights of a warning system when stopping the bus to drop off, or pick up, children.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(3) The driver of a bus must not activate the flashing lights of a warning system fitted to the bus when the bus is not being used for school purposes.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(4) For the purposes of this rule, a bus is driven or used for school purposes if:(a) it is being used to convey children (whether with or without adult passengers) to or from school:(i) between 7.00 am and 9.30 am on a weekday, or(ii) between 2.30 pm and 5.00 pm on a weekday, or(b) it is used solely for the purpose of conveying children to or from school.
(5) This rule does not apply to the following drivers:(a) the driver of a bus:(i) that is operating on charter for a school excursion or being used for community service activities, and(ii) where no individual fares are being directly collected or school passes used,(b) the driver of a bus that is owned by a person that the Authority has exempted from compliance with clause 25 of the Road Transport (General) Regulation 2013 .Note :
"Authority" is defined in the Act.
(6) In this rule:
"warning system" has the same meaning as in clause 25 of the Road Transport (General) Regulation 2013 .Note 1 : Clause 25 of the Road Transport (General) Regulation 2013 requires the owner of a bus that is used for school purposes not to permit the bus to be driven unless a warning system is attached to the bus.
Note 2 : This rule is an additional NSW road rule. There is no corresponding rule in the Australian Road Rules .