(1) A traffic control device (except a road marking) applies to an area if:(a) it is in the area, and(b) the device, the position of the device, or information on or with the device, indicates that the device applies to the area.Note 1 :
"Road marking" and
"with" are defined in the Dictionary.Note 2 : Rule 332 deals with parking control signs that display arrows. These signs apply to lengths of road.
(2) A traffic control device (except a road marking) also applies to an area if:(a) there is an identical kind of traffic control device (the
"first traffic control device" ) on each road into the area, and(b) the traffic control device is a traffic control device applying to an area, or information on or with the device indicates that it applies to an area, and(c) information on or with a traffic control device on each road out of the area indicates that the first traffic control device no longer applies or that the area has ended.Examples of traffic control devices applying to an area :1 A school zone sign (in some circumstances--see rule 23).2 A shared zone sign.3 A no stopping sign or no parking sign with the word "area".4 A permissive parking sign with the words "parking area".5 An end no parking area sign.6 An end no stopping area sign.7 An end parking area sign.
(3) A road marking applies to an area if:(a) it is on the surface of the area, and(b) the road marking, the position of the road marking, or information in or with the road marking, indicates that the road marking applies to the area.
(4) However, a traffic control device does not apply to an area if information on or with the device expressly indicates that the device does not apply to the area.
(5) A parking control sign that applies to an area applies to parking bays on each length of road in the area, and to other parts of each length of road, as if it were a parking control sign that applied only to that length of road.Note 1 :
"Parking bay" and
"parking control sign" are defined in the Dictionary.Note 2 : Rule 334 sets out how a parking control sign that applies to a length of road also applies to parking bays and other parts of the road.
(6) In this rule:
"road" , in subrule (2) (a) and (c) and for an area of road, does not include a road related area.
"the device" , in subrule (1) (b), includes another traffic control device.
"the road marking" , in subrule (3) (b), includes another traffic control device.Note :
"Road related area" is defined in rule 13.