(1) Before a driver changes direction to the left, the driver must give a left change of direction signal in accordance with rule 47 for long enough to comply with subrule (2) and, if subrule (3) applies to the driver, that subrule.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.Note :
"Changes direction to the left" is defined in rule 45 (2).
(2) The driver must give the change of direction signal for long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians.
(3) If the driver is about to change direction by moving from a stationary position at the side of the road or in a median strip parking area, the driver must give the change of direction signal for at least 5 seconds before the driver changes direction.Note :
"Median strip parking area" is defined in the Dictionary.
(4) The driver must stop giving the change of direction signal as soon as the driver completes the change of direction.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(5) This rule does not apply to a driver if the driver's vehicle is not fitted with direction indicator lights.Note :
"Driver's vehicle" is defined in the Dictionary.