(1) Before a driver changes direction to the right, the driver must give a right change of direction signal in accordance with rule 49 for long enough to comply with subrule (2) and, if subrule (3) applies to the driver, that subrule.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.Note :
"Changes direction to the right" is defined in rule 45 (3).
(2) The driver must give the change of direction signal for long enough to give sufficient warning to other drivers and pedestrians.
(3) If the driver is about to change direction by moving from a stationary position at the side of the road or in a median strip parking area, the driver must give the change of direction signal for at least 5 seconds before the driver changes direction.Note :
"Median strip parking area" is defined in the Dictionary.
(3A) Subrule (3) does not apply to the rider of a bicycle that is stopped in traffic but not parked.
(4) The driver must stop giving the change of direction signal as soon as the driver completes the change of direction.Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
(5) This rule does not apply to:(a) the driver of a tram that is not fitted with direction indicator lights, or(b) the rider of a bicycle making a hook turn.Note 1 :
"tram" are defined in the Dictionary.Note 2 : Rules 34 and 35 deal with bicycles making hook turns.