(1) The Board may commute a liability to pay compensation for loss of earning capacity.
(2) A commutation may be made under this regulation:
(a) on the application of the eligible person; or
(b) if the amount of the compensation to which the eligible person is entitled does not justify, in the Board's opinion, the administrative cost of making periodic payments.
(3) In determining the amount for which an entitlement to future benefits should be commuted, a discount rate of 6% will be applied.
(4) The payment of the amount assessed on commutation discharges the Office from further liability to pay benefits of the kind to which the commutation relates.
(5) However, the Board has a discretion to re-open a commutation under this regulation if:
(a) the commutation was made without the eligible person's consent; and
(b) there has been a substantial deterioration of the eligible person's medical condition since the date of the commutation.