(1) This section applies if a person is given a requirement or direction under this Act and no other penalty is expressly provided for a contravention of the requirement or direction.
(2) A person must not contravene a requirement or direction given by a police officer, including a requirement or direction contained in a notice given by a police officer, under this Act, unless the person has a reasonable excuse.Penalty—Maximum penalty—(a) for contravening a direction given under section 48 —(i) within licensed premises, or in a regulated place located in the vicinity of licensed premises; or(ii) in a public place located in a safe night precinct—60 penalty units; or(b) for contravening another requirement or direction relating to a relevant law for which the penalty for a contravention of a similar requirement or direction made by a public official under the relevant law is more than 40 penalty units—the maximum penalty under the relevant law for the offence; or(c) otherwise—40 penalty units.
(3) However, for a contravention of a requirement made by a police officer under section 17 or 18 , the person may be prosecuted for a contravention of the relevant authorising law or subsection (2) , but not both.
(4) Unless otherwise expressly provided, it is a reasonable excuse for a person not to comply with a requirement or direction to give information if giving the information would tend to incriminate the person.
(5) It is not a reasonable excuse for a person not to comply with a requirement or direction given by a police officer under chapter 17 that complying with the requirement or direction would tend to incriminate the person.