(1) An insurer who is defending a proceeding in the name of a defendant is bound by this part.
(2) The insurer must, in relation to documents in the possession or under the control of the insurer, comply with this part as if the insurer were a defendant.
(3) The obligations of the insurer under subrule (1) are additional to, and not in substitution for, the obligations of the defendant under this part.
(4) However, the defendant and the insurer may make a joint statement of expert and economic evidence about documents in their possession or under their control.
(5) The joint statement must state it is made jointly by the defendant and the insurer.
(6) If a joint statement is not made, the defendant and insurer must serve separate statements.