(1) This section applies if, under section 172 , a thing becomes the property of the State.
(2) The chief executive may deal with the thing as the chief executive considers appropriate, including, for example, by destroying it or giving it away.
(3) The chief executive must not deal with the thing in a way that could prejudice the outcome of an appeal against the forfeiture under this part.
(4) If the chief executive sells the thing, the chief executive must, after deducting the costs of the sale, make reasonable efforts to return the proceeds of the sale to the former owner of the thing.
(5) This section is subject to any disposal order made under section 174 for the thing.