(1) The court, by order, may extend or abridge any time fixed—
(a) by or under this Chapter; or
(b) by any order extending or abridging time made under this section—
if the court considers that it is in the interests of justice to do so.
(2) An extension of the time for commencement of a trial for a sexual offence must not exceed 3 months.
(3) It is not necessary that an order be made under subsection (1) if a ruling made, or direction given, by the court provides for the extension or abridgment of time.
(4) The court may extend time under subsection (1) before or after the time expires.
(5) More than one extension of time may be granted under subsection (1).
(6) Unless the court otherwise orders, no material in support of an order under subsection (1) need be filed.