(1) An employer for a covered industry must apply to the registrar for registration as an employer not later than the end of—
(a) the required period for the employer; or
(b) any additional period allowed by the registrar under subsection (4).
Penalty: In the case of an individual, 24 penalty units for each day during which the offence continues;
In the case of a body corporate, 120 penalty units for each day during which the offence continues.
Section 71 applies to an offence against this subsection.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the required period is—
(a) if the employer is an employer in the industry at the commencement of this section—3 months after that commencement; or
(b) if the employer is an employer in the industry when the industry becomes a covered industry—3 months after the industry becomes a covered industry; or
(c) in any other case—3 months after the employer becomes an employer for the covered industry.
(3) The application must be in the approved form.
(4) The registrar may allow an employer an additional period to apply for registration on the employers register if satisfied that the employer has a good reason for requiring additional time to apply.
(5) If a court finds a person guilty of an offence against subsection (1), the court, in addition to imposing a penalty on the person, may order the person to—
(a) apply within a specified time to the registrar for registration as an employer for a covered industry; and
(b) pay the Authority the amount that would have been payable by the person as a levy under this Act if the person had complied with this Act since becoming an employer.