Victorian Current Acts
[Search this Act]
OWNERS CORPORATIONS ACT 2006
TABLE OF PROVISIONS
PART 2--FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF OWNERS CORPORATION
4. Functions of owners corporation
5. Owners corporation must act in good faith
6. Powers of owners corporation
7. Owners corporations for 2-lot subdivisions
8. Owners corporations that are limited to common property
9. Power to employ or engage persons
10. Power to execute documents etc.
11. Management of owners corporation and power to delegate
12. Provision of services to members and occupiers
13. Owners corporation not to carry on business
14. Leasing or licensing of the common property
15. Power to obtain lease or licence over land
16. Power to acquire and dispose of personal property
17. Owners corporation must not mortgage or charge common property
18. Power to bring legal proceedings
19. The common seal
20. When can the common seal be used?
21. Who must witness the use of the common seal?
22. Judicial notice of use of common seal
PART 3--FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
23. Owners corporation may levy fees
24. Extraordinary fees
25. Power to borrow money
26. Power to invest
27. Bank account
28. Liability of lot owners
29. Penalty interest on arrears
30. Recovery of money owed
31. Fee notice
32. Final notice
33. Financial records
34. Financial statements
35. Audit of accounts of owners corporations
36. Maintenance plan
37. What must a maintenance plan contain?
38. When does a maintenance plan have effect?
39. Report on approved maintenance plan
40. Establishment of maintenance fund
41. What is the maintenance fund for?
42. Payments into maintenance fund
43. Payments from maintenance fund
44. Extraordinary payments from maintenance fund
45. Extraordinary payments for urgent matters
46. Owners corporation to repair and maintain common property
47. Owners corporation must repair and maintain services
48. Lots not properly maintained
49. Cost of repairs, maintenance or other works
50. When can an owners corporation authorise a person to enter a lot?
51. What notice of entry must be given?
52. Significant alteration to common property requires special resolution
53. Upgrading of common property
54. What is an insurable building?
55. Members may take out insurance
56. Owners corporation has insurable interest
57. Amount payable under owners corporation insurance
58. Insurance if lot mortgaged
59. Reinstatement and replacement insurance
60. Public liability insurance
61. Insurance for lots in multi-level developments
62. Owners corporation may have additional insurance
63. Insurance not required where there is no common property
64. Insurance not required where another owners corporation has insured
65. Valuation of buildings
PART 4--MEETINGS AND DECISIONS OF OWNERS CORPORATION
66. When must the first meeting be held?
67. What documents must be provided at the first meeting?
68. Obligations of initial owner
69. Annual general meeting
70. Who may convene annual general meetings?
71. Agenda for annual general meeting
72. Notice of annual general meetings
73. What is a special general meeting?
74. Who can convene a special general meeting?
75. Agenda for special general meeting
76. Notice of special general meetings
77. Quorum for a general meeting
78. Can a general meeting proceed even without a quorum?
79. Who chairs the general meeting?
80. Procedure at meeting
81. Minutes of meetings
82. Owners corporation may require certain matters to be dealt with at general meetings
83. Who can arrange a ballot?
84. How can a ballot be conducted?
85. Notice of ballot
86. Resolution by ballot
88. Voting under power of attorney
89. Person not to require a lot owner to give a power of attorney or proxy
90. Resolutions by meeting or ballot
91. One vote for each lot
92. Voting at a meeting
93. Does the chairperson have a casting vote?
94. Can a lot owner vote if fees are unpaid?
95. What is a unanimous resolution?
96. What is a special resolution?
97. Interim special resolutions
98. Chairperson of owners corporation
100. Election of committee
101. Functions and powers of committee
102. Delegation by committee
103. Membership of committees
104. Casual vacancies on a committee
105. Chairperson of committee
106. Acting chairperson
107. Secretary of committee
108. How can a meeting of a committee be called?
109. Notice of meetings
110. Co-opted members
112. Proceedings of committee
113. Resolutions of committee to be resolutions of owners corporation
115. Committee to report
117. Duties of committees and sub-committees
118. Immunity of committee members
119. Appointment and removal of manager
120. Functions of manager where there is a committee
121. Functions of the manager where there is no committee
122. Duties of manager
123. Immunity of volunteer manager
125. VCAT may appoint manager
127. Manager to return records
PART 7--DUTIES AND RIGHTS OF LOT OWNERS AND OCCUPIERS
128. Compliance with laws
129. Care of lots
130. Care of common property
131. Overhanging eaves
132. Right to decorate interior walls, floors and ceilings
133. Notice of planning and building applications and plans of subdivision
134. Address of new owners
135. Address of absent owners
136. Advice to occupiers
137. Duties of occupiers of lots
PART 8--RULES OF THE OWNERS CORPORATION
138. Power to make rules
138A. Power to make rules regarding proxies
139. Model rules
140. Rules to be of no effect if inconsistent with law
141. Who is bound by the rules?
142. Recording of rules
143. Rules to be given to lot owners
144. Keeping of records
145. How long must records be kept?
146. Availability of records
147. Owners corporation register
148. What must be kept on the owners corporation register?
149. In what form must the register be kept?
150. Availability of register
151. Owners corporation certificate
PART 10--DISPUTE RESOLUTION
153. Decision whether to take action in respect of alleged breach
154. Notice of decision not to take action
155. Notice to rectify breach
156. What if the person does not rectify the breach?
157. Final notice
158. How may notice be given?
159. Report to annual general meeting
159A. Complaints—short-stay accommodation arrangements
159B. Decision whether to take action in respect of alleged breach by a short-stay occupant
159C. Notice of decision not to take action—short-stay accommodation arrangement complaint
159D. Notice to rectify breach—short-stay accommodation arrangement complaint
159E. What if the person does not rectify the breach?
159F. Report to annual general meeting
160. Making a complaint
161. Conciliation and mediation
PART 11--APPLICATIONS TO VCAT
162. VCAT may hear and determine disputes
163. Who may apply to VCAT in relation to a dispute?
164. VCAT may dismiss application
165. What orders can VCAT make?
166. Penalty for breach of rules
167. What must VCAT consider?
168. Monetary orders
169. Notice to Business Licensing Authority
169A. VCAT may hear and determine short-stay accommodation disputes
169B. Who may apply to VCAT in relation to a short-stay accommodation dispute?
169C. What orders can VCAT make?
169D. Prohibition order
169E. Loss of amenity compensation order
169F. What must VCAT consider?
169G. Civil penalty for breach by short-stay occupant
169H. Joint and several liability of short-stay provider and short-stay occupant
170. Owners corporation may apply to VCAT for exemption
171. VCAT may make exemption order
172. Application to VCAT to restrict access to information
173. Application for appointment of administrator
174. Appointment of administrator
175. Remuneration of administrator
176. Powers and responsibilities of administrator
177. Administrator to act in good faith
PART 12--REGISTRATION OF MANAGERS
178. Offence to act as manager without being registered
179. Eligibility for registration
180. Application for registration
181. Further information
183. Annual registration fee and statement
184. Extension of time
185. Failure to lodge annual statement
186. Automatic cancellation of registration
187. Death, disability etc. of registered manager
188. If details given in application or annual statement change
189. Offence to supply false or misleading information
190. Cancellation of registration if false information is given
191. Application for review
192. Register of managers
193. Purposes of register of managers
194. What must the register of managers contain?
195. Inspection of register of managers
196. Removal of information from register of managers
197. Duty of Licensing Registrar
198. Provision of information for the purposes of this Act
199. Application of Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012
200. Approved forms
201. Money to be paid to Victorian Property Fund
202. Certain provisions of contracts void
203. Who may bring proceedings for offences?
203A. Infringement notices
204. Regulation-making powers
205. Transitional and savings provisions
AustLII: Copyright Policy