(1) This section sets out a simplified outline of this Chapter.
(2) This Chapter provides for the grant of the following titles—
(a) a petroleum exploration permit (see Part 2.2);
(b) a petroleum retention lease (see Part 2.3);
(c) a petroleum production licence (see Part 2.4);
(d) an infrastructure licence (see Part 2.5);
(e) a pipeline licence (see Part 2.6);
(f) a petroleum special prospecting authority (see Part 2.7);
(g) a petroleum access authority (see Part 2.8).
(3) A petroleum exploration permit authorises the permittee to explore for petroleum in the permit area.
(4) If a petroleum pool is identified in a petroleum exploration permit area, the Minister may declare a location over the blocks to which the petroleum pool extends.
(5) After the declaration of a location, the permittee may apply for a petroleum retention lease or a petroleum production licence.
(6) A petroleum retention lease is granted if the recovery of petroleum is not currently commercially viable, but is likely to become commercially viable within 15 years. The lessee may apply for a petroleum production licence.
(7) A petroleum production licence authorises the licensee to carry out petroleum recovery operations in the licence area.
(8) An infrastructure licence authorises the licensee to construct and operate an infrastructure facility in the licence area. An infrastructure facility may relate to petroleum or a greenhouse gas substance.
(9) A pipeline licence authorises the licensee to construct and operate a pipeline. A pipeline may be used to convey petroleum or a greenhouse gas substance.
(10) A petroleum special prospecting authority authorises the holder to carry on petroleum exploration operations in the authority area (but not to make a well).
S. 70(11) amended by No. 64/2012 s. 62.
(11) A petroleum access authority authorises the holder to carry on certain petroleum exploration operations, and certain operations relating to the recovery of petroleum, in the authority area (but not to make a well, other than a deviation well that enters an adjacent permit area, lease area or licence area that is the subject of a permit, licence or lease held by that holder).
(12) Part 2.9 provides for the grant of petroleum scientific investigation consents. A petroleum scientific investigation consent authorises the holder to carry on petroleum exploration operations in the course of a scientific investigation.
(13) This section is intended only as a guide to
readers as to the general scheme and effect of this Chapter.
Part 2.2 —Petroleum exploration permits
Division 1 —General provisions