(1) The Minister may, by notice published in the Government Gazette—
(a) invite applications by way of cash bidding for the grant by the Minister of a petroleum exploration permit over the block or blocks specified in the notice; and
(b) specify a period within which applications may be made.
(2) If the Minister has published a notice under section 86(1) inviting applications for the grant of a petroleum exploration permit over a block, the block must not be specified in a notice under subsection (1) of this section at any time during the period specified in the section 86(1) notice.
Section 86(1) deals with work‑bid petroleum exploration permits.
(3) A notice under subsection (1) must—
(a) state whether the permit is able to be renewed; and
(b) contain a summary of the conditions to which the permit will be subject; and
(c) specify the matters that the Minister will take into account in deciding whether to reject an application.
(4) If a notice under subsection (1) specifies more than one block, those blocks must be constituted by graticular sections that—
(a) constitute a single area; and
(b) are such that each graticular section in that area has a side in common with at least one other graticular section in that area.
(5) If a notice under subsection (1) specifies more than one block, an application under this section must be for a petroleum exploration permit over all of the specified blocks.
(6) An application under this section must—
(a) be accompanied by details of—
(i) the technical qualifications of the applicant and of the applicant's employees; and
(ii) the technical advice available to the applicant; and
(iii) the financial resources available to the applicant; and
(b) specify the amount that the applicant would be prepared to pay for the grant of the permit.
1 Part 2.10 contains additional provisions about application procedures.
2 Section 252 requires the application to be accompanied by an application fee.
3 Section 254 enables the Minister to require the applicant to give further information.