(1) At any time after the start of an election costing period and before 5 p.m. on the Wednesday immediately preceding the date of the general election, a parliamentary leader may, in accordance with the PBO protocols, request the Parliamentary Budget Officer to prepare a costing of a policy.
(2) The parliamentary leader may include in the request any information that the leader thinks relevant to assist the Parliamentary Budget Officer to prepare a costing of the policy.
(3) A parliamentary leader, by giving written notice to the Parliamentary Budget Officer, may withdraw an election policy costing request at any time before the Officer publicly releases the election policy costing under section 38.
(4) After receiving a notice under subsection (3), the Parliamentary Budget Officer—
(a) is to stop preparing the election policy costing; and
(b) must as soon as practicable inform any entity (other than the parliamentary leader who requested the election policy costing) that the Officer requested to provide information or a document relevant to the request that the information or document is no longer required.
(5) Subsection (4)(b) does not apply if the information or document is also relevant to another current election policy costing request.