(1) Fire Rescue Victoria may promote members of operational staff.
(2) A promotion by Fire Rescue Victoria under subregulation (1) must be made on the basis of merit as defined in section 79P(3) of the Act.
(3) An applicant for promotion must satisfy a medical officer approved by Fire Rescue Victoria of the applicant's fitness for service in the role for which application for promotion has been made.
(4) The Fire Rescue Commissioner must give not less than one month's notice of the intention to accept applications for promotion to all positions other than senior positions.
(5) Every promotion of a member of operational staff must be notified as soon as practicable to operational staff.
(6) A promotion made by Fire Rescue Victoria that is subject to the jurisdiction of the Commission becomes effective—
(a) if a member of the operational staff appeals to the Commission under section 79H(c) of the Act in relation to a promotion, only after the appeal has been heard and determined; or
(b) in all other cases, when the time for appealing expires.