(1) A driver must not drive a vehicle that has a television receiver or visual display unit in or on the vehicle operating while the vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, if any part of the image on the screen—
(a) is visible to the driver from the normal driving position; or
(b) is likely to distract another driver.
Penalty: 10 penalty units.
Park is defined in the dictionary. Vehicle is defined in rule 15.
(2) This rule does not apply to the driver if—
(a) the driver is driving a bus and the visual display unit is, or displays, a destination sign or other bus sign; or
Bus is defined in the Road Safety Act 1986 .
(aa) the vehicle is a motor bike and the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver's aid, and the driver is not holding the visual display unit in their hand; or
(b) the vehicle is not a motor bike and the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver's aid and either—
(i) is an integrated part of the vehicle design; or
(ii) is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle while being used; or
Rule 299(2)(ba) amended by S.R. No. 121/2020 rule 12(1).
(ba) the visual display unit is in or on a police vehicle, emergency vehicle, enforcement vehicle or a sheriff's vehicle; or
Note to rule 299(2)(ba) amended by S.R. No. 121/2020 rule 12(2).
"Police vehicle", emergency vehicle , enforcement vehicle and sheriff's vehicle are defined in the dictionary.
Rule 299(2)(bb) amended by S.R. No. 121/2020 rule 12(3).
(bb) the visual display unit is part of a mobile phone that is being used to perform a navigational or intelligent highway vehicle system function as permitted by rule 300(1)(b); or
Rule 299(2)(c) amended by S.R. No. 153/2019 rule 4(Sch. 1 item 19).
(c) the Secretary or the Regulator has, by notice in writing, exempted the driver from subrule (1).
Examples of driver's aids
1 Closed-circuit television security cameras.
2 Dispatch systems.
3 Navigational or intelligent highway and vehicle system equipment.
4 Rear view screens.
5 Ticket-issuing machines.
6 Vehicle monitoring devices.
(3) For the purposes of subrule (2)(b)(ii), a visual display unit is secured in a mounting affixed to the vehicle if, and only if—
(a) the mounting is commercially designed and manufactured for that purpose; and
(b) the unit is secured in the mounting, and the mounting is affixed to the vehicle, in the manner intended by the manufacturer.
(4) For the purpose of this rule, a vehicle may be parked even though—
(a) the key to the vehicle is located in the vehicle's ignition lock; or
(b) the engine of the vehicle is running.
Rule 299(5) inserted by S.R. No. 6/2018 rule 5.
(5) For the purposes of this rule, a vehicle is stationary but not parked if it is stationary in a marked lane or line of traffic on a road.
Line of traffic and marked lane are defined in the dictionary.