(1) A person to whom subsection (1A) applies may choose an adult to accompany the person while the person is giving evidence in a proceeding (including while giving evidence by closed-circuit television).
(1A) This subsection applies to the following persons:
(a) for a child proceeding--a child witness;
(b) for a vulnerable adult proceeding--a vulnerable adult complainant;
(c) for a special witness proceeding--a special witness for whom an order under subsection 15YAB(3) is in force for this section;
(2) The adult chosen under subsection (1) may accompany the person as mentioned in subsection (1), unless the court determines that it is not appropriate for the adult to accompany the person.
(3) The court may permit more than one adult to accompany the person if the court considers it in the interests of justice to do so.
(4) An adult accompanying the person under this section must not:
(a) prompt the person or otherwise influence the person's answers; or
(b) disrupt the questioning of the person.
(5) Any words spoken by an adult accompanying the person under this section must be able to be heard by:
(a) the judge; and
(b) if there is a jury in the proceeding--the members of the jury.