Commonwealth Numbered Acts
[Search this Act]
HUMAN RIGHTS AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION ACT 1986 No. 125 of 1986 - SECT 8
Constitution of Commission
8. (1) The Commission shall consist of-
(a) a President;
(b) a Human Rights Commissioner;
(c) the Race Discrimination Commissioner; and
(d) the Sex Discrimination Commissioner.
(2) The President and the Human Rights Commissioner shall be appointed by the
(3) The President shall be appointed as a part-time member.
(4) The Human Rights Commissioner shall be a legally qualified person
appointed as a full-time member.
(5) The affairs of the Commission shall, in accordance with the decisions and
subject to the directions of the Commission, be administered by the Human
(6) The functions of the Commission under paragraphs 11 (1) (f) and 31 (b) and
the functions of the Commission under paragraphs 11 (1) (p) and 31 (k), to the
extent that they relate to the performance of the firstmentioned functions,
shall be performed by the Human Rights Commissioner, and a reference in this
Act to the Commission or to a member of the Commission shall, in relation to
the performance of any of those functions, be read as a reference to the
Human Rights Commissioner.
(7) The performance of the functions or the exercise of the powers of the
Commission is not affected by reason only of a vacancy in the office of
President, Human Rights Commissioner, Race Discrimination Commissioner or Sex
(8) In this section, "legally qualified person" means a person who-
(a) is or has been a Judge of a court created by the Parliament or of a
court of a State or a person who has the same designation and status
as a Judge of a court created by the Parliament; or
(b) is enrolled as a barrister or solicitor, as a barrister and solicitor,
or as a legal practitioner, of the High Court, of another federal
court or of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory.
AustLII: Copyright Policy