(1) For the purposes of this Part there is established a Compensation Appeals Tribunal.
(2) The Tribunal is to consist of 3 members who are appointed by the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, being—
S. 190(2)(a) amended by No. 18/2005 s. 18(Sch. 1 item 44.3).
(a) an Australian lawyer who has knowledge of and experience in administrative law or the law of procedure and evidence, who is to be the chairperson;
S. 190(2)(b) amended by No. 35/2009 s. 48.
(b) one person, nominated by the Minister, from a panel of 3 persons associated with and familiar with the fishing industry;
(c) one person who, in the opinion of the Minister, has expertise in financial matters.
(3) A person must not be appointed as a member of the Tribunal if that person is—
(a) a member or a deputy of the Panel; or
(b) an eligible rock lobster access licence holder, an eligible specified access licence holder or an eligible charter boat operator.
(4) The Governor in Council may, at any time, on the recommendation of the Minister, remove a member of the Tribunal and appoint another member in accordance with subsection (2).
(5) A member is appointed for the term, not exceeding 3 years, that is specified in the instrument of appointment.
(6) A member is eligible for re-appointment.
(7) Subject to this section, a member holds office on those terms and conditions (including as to payment and travel allowances) that are specified in the member's instrument of appointment.
S. 190(8) substituted by Nos 108/2004 s. 117(1) (Sch. 3 item 79.5), 80/2006 s. 26(Sch. item 40.5).
(8) The Public Administration Act 2004 (other than Part 3 of that Act) applies to a member in respect of the office of member.
S. 191 inserted by No. 40/2002 s. 27.