Rule 262(1) amended by S.R. No. 135/2021 rule 90.
(1) The rider of a bicycle or an electric scooter who is crossing at an intersection, or another place on a road or road related area, with bicycle crossing lights and traffic lights must comply with this rule.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
"Bicycle crossing lights", intersection and traffic lights are defined in the dictionary.
(2) If the bicycle crossing lights change from green to yellow, flashing yellow, red or flashing red while the rider is crossing the road, the rider must not stay on the road for longer than necessary to cross safely to the nearer (in the direction of travel of the rider) of the following—
(a) a dividing strip, safety zone or traffic island forming part of the area set aside or used by riders of bicycles to cross the road at the intersection or place (the safety area );
(b) the far side of the road.
Dividing strip and traffic island are defined in the dictionary, and safety zone is defined in rule 162.
(2A) Despite subrule (2), in the circumstances set out in that subrule the rider may instead return to the side of the road, or to the safety area, that the rider has just left, but only if—
(a) at the time the lights change, that side or safety area is closer to the rider than the side or safety area (whichever is the closer) that the rider was heading for at that time; and
(b) the rider does not stay on the road for longer than is necessary to return to that side or safety area.
(3) If, under subrule (2), the rider crosses to the safety area, the rider must remain in the safety area until the bicycle crossing lights change to green.
(4) However, if the rider cannot operate the bicycle crossing lights from the safety area, the rider may cross to the far side of the road when—
(a) the traffic lights change to green or flashing yellow, or there is no red traffic light showing; and
(b) it is safe to do so.
Red traffic light is defined in the dictionary.
(5) To avoid doubt, under subrule (2), if the bicycle crossing lights show a green bicycle crossing light, the rider may cross even though the traffic lights show a red traffic light or yellow traffic light.
(6) In this rule—
"road" does not include a road related area, but includes any shoulder of the road.
Road related area is defined in rule 13 and shoulder is defined in rule 12.
Pt 15 Div. 2 (Heading and rules 262A– 262I) inserted by S.R. No. 135/2021 rule 91.
Division 2—Additional rules for riders of electric scooters
1 For the purposes of these Rules, a person riding on an electric scooter is a rider—see rule 17. This Division contains rules that apply to a rider of an electric scooter only.
2 Electric scooter , electric scooter use area and commercially operated share scheme are defined in the dictionary.
Rule 262A inserted by S.R. No. 135/2021 rule 91.